Full-time Librarian Adult Services Department
The Wilmette Public Library is seeking a full-time librarian for the Adult Services Department. We are looking for an individual who has a strong background in readers’ services.
The ideal candidate:
- uses creative ways to engage with the community through readers’ services and programs
- is familiar and recommends books across genres
- has facilitated book discussions and developed readers’ advisory tools in a public library setting.
- is proficient in the use of technology and is adept at teaching others how to use electronic collections and digital devices
- enjoys the exchange of ideas and is interested in developing ways for the community to share their ideas
- is tuned in to pop culture and able to use that knowledge for reaching new audiences and developing collections to match interests
- thrives in a collaborative environment and is excited about the evolving role of libraries and librarianship.
- MLS Degree
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as an Adult Services Librarian in a public library
- Working knowledge of reference resources, in both print and non-print formats
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to understand the technology used at the library and to conduct basic troubleshooting of technology-related issues
- Strong collection development skills
- The ability to organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Self-starter and problem solver
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality, in accordance with library policies and laws
- Must be available to work a varied schedule, including evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
- Actively pursues continuous learning by participating in training opportunities and sharing knowledge in the workplace
- Staff public service desk which provides general and in-depth reference assistance and reader advisory, using a variety of print and online resources
- Participates in the development and maintenance of library collections including, but not limited to, books, periodicals, online databases, and media
- Maintains and applies a current knowledge of books, authors, and trends in library services and programs
- Demonstrates a commitment to teamwork by being an effective communicator and engaging in respectful and productive work relationships
- Plans, coordinates, implements, and evaluates library programs to meet the objectives identified in library planning documents, and community needs, expressed or perceived
- Participates in professional organizations and activities to keep informed of current and emerging trends in public libraries
- May serve as a member of employee committees
- Represents the library on various community or professional bodies, as required or assigned
- As needed, serves as Person in Charge by handling customer complaints and resolving facilities issues
- Supports innovation by embracing change, being flexible and anticipating customers’ needs
The Wilmette Public Library offers an excellent benefits package including health insurance and retirement benefits. Salary: 45,450 + depending on qualifications and experience.
Wilmette Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. We are committed to achieving an inclusive and diverse workforce free from discrimination and harassment. Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a resume and a letter of application to:
Head of Adult Services
Wilmette Public Library
1242 Wilmette Ave.
Wilmette, IL 60091