Adult Services Associate
Do you love interacting and engaging with the public? Do you enjoy being a resource and providing that exceptional customer service experience that patrons remember? Wilmette Public Library is looking for a Part-Time Adult Services Associate to provide quality reference and reader’s advisory assistance to our adult and teen patrons. This position will instruct patrons on the use of both print and digital resources, while promoting library programs and collections. Applicants must have excellent customer service skills, be intellectually curious, and tech-savvy. A successful candidate will also take initiative, have a flexible schedule, and possess the ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team while also making informed decisions independently.
Part-Time Adult Services Associate Responsibilities:
- Provide excellent general and in-depth reference assistance and reader advisory, using a variety of print and digital resources.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all patrons regarding general and library specific inquiries.
- Assist and support programming events for the Adult Services department.
- Assist in the maintenance and promotion of library collections including books, periodicals, digital resources, and media.
- Maintain and apply a current knowledge of books, authors, and trends in library services and programs.
Hours & Compensation:
- Weekly hours average out to approximately 8-10 hours per week. (Flexibility to pick up additional shifts preferred)
- Schedule includes: two Friday evening shifts per month (5:00pm – 9:00pm), one weekend shift per month: (Saturdays-9:00am – 5:00pm & Sundays-12:00pm – 5:00pm) and one weekly shift from the following: Tuesday morning or afternoon, Wednesday afternoon or Thursday afternoon.
- Starting Hourly Rate: $18.25
- LTA or Bachelor’s Degree in related field required. MLS or MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited library school a plus.
- Reference Librarian experience in a public library is highly desirable.
- Extensive experience with OverDrive/Digital Library of Illinois preferred.
- Must demonstrate excellent customer service.
- Working knowledge of reference resources, in both print and digital formats.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Ability to understand and use technology and troubleshoot technology-related issues.
- Ability to demonstrate broad practical experience with library software, including Integrated Library Systems (Polaris preferred) and subscription databases.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
View the complete job description here.
All interested and qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and application for full consideration. Visit our website https://www.wilmettelibrary.info/about/about-us/employment and download an application. All applications must be filled out completely and submitted to:
Michael Boone, PHR
Human Resources Manager
Wilmette Public Library
Wilmette Public Library is a DDF workplace and an EOE employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.