Adult Services Manager
Wilmette Public Library is looking for a creative, dynamic, and forward-thinking motivator to lead and manage our Adult Services Department. This innovative individual will understand the “big picture,” embrace the Library’s mission and vision, and apply this knowledge to the Library’s daily operations while also applying their talent and passion for adult and young adult literature to deliver engaging and thought-provoking programs and services to the community.
Core Essential Functions
- Plan and develop departmental goals and objectives and ensure all resources and programming costs remain within budget.
- Create and maintain staff schedules for all reference desk and non-reference desk responsibilities.
- Oversee selection, replacement, and weeding of all departmental library resources.
- Serve as a participating member of the Library’s Leadership Team and assist in the development of operational policies and procedures.
- Plan, supervise, and evaluate all library programming for adults and young adults.
- Motivate, support, and inspire staff to be creative and take initiative.
- With the support of the Director, determine department staffing needs and, with the HR Manager, assist in the recruitment process for all department positions. On-board, train, evaluate, and develop staff.
- Investigate and resolve escalated patron-related issues.
- Provides Reference and Reader’s Advisory support as needed.
- Serve as Person-in-Charge as assigned.
- Ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with staff, Leadership Team members, leaders in the community and the general public. This includes promoting community interest in library services.
- Thorough knowledge of library services and operations.
- Thorough knowledge of adult and young adult collections.
- Extensive knowledge of reference tools, resources, and research techniques.
- Ability to interpret the needs of our community and recommend programs and services accordingly.
- Ability to use technology and relevant software programs to analyze records and statistics.
- Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to use sound judgement and logical reasoning in resolving issues.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Master’s Degree in library science from an ALA-accredited university.
- Minimum of 3 years Adult Services experience, preferably in a public library.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Must be willing to work occasional weekends and evenings.
- Salary starting from $60,000, depending on qualifications.
This is a full-time, exempt position scheduled for 37.5 hours per week. This position is eligible for both paid time-off, IMRF participation, as well as a generous healthcare package including medical, dental, and vision.
For full consideration, by Friday, January 17, 2020, please submit an application, resume, and cover letter with salary expectations to:
Attn: Michael Boone, HR Manager
Applications can be downloaded from our website: https://www.wilmettelibrary.info/about/about-us/employment
Wilmette Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified candidates to apply without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status or veteran status.