Wilmette Public Library seeks a dynamic and proactive Finance Manager to drive our critical financial operations and keep us on target with our mission and strategic initiatives. Under the supervision of the Library Director, the Finance Manager is responsible for managing and maintaining all of the financial and accounting functions and practices of the Wilmette Public Library District as well as the Kenilworth Public Library District (by contract), in accordance with all federal, state, and local government regulations. A member of the library’s Leadership Team, this position also supervises the bi-weekly payroll function and works with the Director to prepare regular reports to the Board of Library Trustees (including coordination of the annual operating budget, appropriation ordinance, levy, and audit), and all other required financial reports and records. Flexible to work evenings to attend monthly Board meeting and Finance Committee meetings (as appropriate).
Essential Core Duties:
- Maintain accounting and purchasing procedures and records, including cash management and disbursements.
- Secure and confirm Director’s approval for all relevant invoices, and ensure that vendor invoices match actual services authorized.
- Oversee income and expenses of the Library.
- Prepare or supervise semi-monthly payroll including verifying accuracy of any payroll changes, and processing all related benefit payments: healthcare and life insurance, pension, deferred compensation. etc.
- Perform all supervisory responsibilities for the Accounting Assistant position. Train, mentor, and support the work of this role and provide performance evaluation support and talent development opportunities with assistance from HR.
- Manage all bank account activity including reconciliation of bank statements (money markets, CDs, operating, savings, payroll, petty cash, and building/equipment/special reserves), and calculation of transfers between various Library accounts, with Director approval.
- Assist Director in preparation of the annual budget, appropriation, and levy and oversee the annual audit process.
- Manage all Library investment activity and reinvest funds as delegated by the Director.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business required. CPA highly desirable and preferred.
- 3-5 years work in finance and accounting preferably in a government or non-profit agency.
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of governmental accounting and budgeting procedures.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), and accounting and audit practices.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of federal, state, and local financial regulations as applies to governmental agencies.
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment regarding financial matters, and the ability to perform mathematical functions with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to manage data for effective reporting and decision-making in collaboration with Executive Director.
- Ability to learn and use all job-related technology with proficiency: MS Office, Excel, QuickBooks, and payroll software.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Ability to make informed decisions independently while also flexible to work collaboratively in a team setting.
37.5 hours per week
Monday through Friday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Some evening work, including attending Board Meetings (generally third Tuesdays)
Salary is commensurate with experience
Excellent healthcare benefits: medical, dental and vision
Sick, vacation, personal days and paid holidays
Participation in Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) Pension benefit
For full consideration, all qualified applicants must submit an application, resume and cover letter with salary expectations by 5:00pm on Friday, November 29, 2019, to:
Attention: Michael Boone, HR Manager
Applications can be downloaded from our website at www.wilmettelibrary.info
Wilmette Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We are committed to achieving an inclusive and diverse workforce free from discrimination and harassment. Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.