We’re looking for two enthusiastic people to help kids with their reading by staffing our Summer Reading Club booth. One will have regular hours; one will be a substitute working hours as needed. This summer’s theme is A Universe of Stories.
Applicant must be a high school graduate by the end of the first month of employment. The applicant must show enthusiasm for children and for children’s books, display a cheerful and patient temperament, have the ability to follow oral and written instructions, and pay close attention to detail work.
This individual is responsible for listening to children talk about the books they have read and recording their progress for the library’s Summer Reading Club, and data entry related to the Summer Reading Club. The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional customer service skills. It is also essential that this individual be able to remain cheerful and inquisitive when dealing with children on a one-on-one basis for several hours at a time. This individual must be well organized, detail oriented, observant of Club rules, and accurate. They are also expected to demonstrate the ability to consistently, thoroughly, and enthusiastically perform their duties independently.
• Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Listen to children talk about books they have read for the library’s Summer Reading Club.
• Keep written records of children’s reading progress.
• Register children for the Summer Reading Club.
• Enter records of Club participants into a computer database.
• Assist with tasks associated with the Summer Reading Club (filing, giving out prizes, etc.).
• Devise, prepare, and clean up craft projects.
• Clean up the children’s area.
• Answer patrons’ directional questions, refer other questions to librarians.
• Fill Book Displays.
Summer Reading Club Assistant Hours: Late afternoon-evenings on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and some Fridays; weekends (approximately 15 hours per week)
Substitute Summer Reading Club Assistant Hours: The Substitute may be asked to fill in late afternoon-evenings Monday through Friday; and weekends (up to 15 hours per week)
PLEASE INDICATE WHICH POSITION(S) YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR
Dates: June 15 through August 11
Pay range: Starts at $10/hour
To apply: Send cover letter and WPL employment application.
Manager of Human Resources
1242 Wilmette Avenue
Wilmette, IL 60091
Application deadline: May 17