The Wilmette Public Library is looking for an energetic, imaginative and self-motivated Substitute Youth Services Librarian to provide exceptional reference and reader’s advisory services to our patrons. The ideal candidate will exhibit patience and creativity while possessing excellent customer service skills and demonstrating an in-depth knowledge of children’s literature. Reporting to the Head of Youth Services, this candidate will also participate in the promotion and maintenance of our children’s collections, and support the high-quality children’s programs we offer to the community.
Substitute Youth Services Librarian Responsibilities:
- Provide general and in-depth reference assistance in person, by telephone and electronically to children and their caregivers.
- Provides high quality reader’s advisory to assist patrons in selecting materials appropriate for their age group, interest and reading capabilities.
- Supports department programs, including traditional programming as well as special events and performers, Summer Reading Clubs and “maker” activities.
- Assists in the maintenance and display of all department collections.
- Promotes library use especially programs and services of the Youth Department.
- Assists with library outreach at community events.
Hours & Comp:
- Must be available to work daytime, evening and weekend hours on an as needed basis. Friday and weekend availability is essential.
- Must be available to work one 4-hour shift, once a month, on a weekday.
- Substitute hourly rate: $24.53
- MLS or MLIS degree from an accredited graduate library school required.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent customer service experience in a public library setting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of children’s literature and current trends in the delivery of library services to children.
- Working knowledge of reference resources, in both print and non-print formats.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Ability to understand and efficiently use our technology (Microsoft Office Suite) and troubleshoot technology-related issues.
- Ability to demonstrate broad practical experience with integrated library systems software (POLARIS) and subscription databases.
- Ability to make informed decisions independently and work collaboratively in a team environment as well.
- Fluency in Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese) or Spanish is a plus.
If interested please visit our website at www.wilmettelibrary.info and download an application. All applications must be filled out completely and submitted to:
Michael Boone, PHR
Manager of Human Resources
Wilmette Public Library
Wilmette Public Library is a DDF workplace and an EOE employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.