American Creed Grant and Programming
The Library has received a grant from the American Library Association (ALA) Public Programs Office to participate in the American Creed: Community Conversations project. American Creed is a PBS documentary that invites audiences to consider what America's ideals and identity ought to be. The grant resources will support events and activities to engage attendees with the idea of a shared creed.
The League of Women Voters of Wilmette and Jack Doppelt, Professor of Journalism and Faculty Associate at the Institute for Policy Research at Northwestern University, are partnering with the Library on this project.
- Screenings of the American Creed documentary will take place at the Library on Saturday, March 9 at 2 pm and Wednesday, March 20 at 7 pm. The film can also be viewed online at https://www.americancreed.org/watch
- April 17 at 7 pm – “American Creed” Screening and Discussion: Debra Gurvitz and Deborah Shefren from the National Writing Project will moderate a discussion of the themes of the film. The film will be shown prior to the discussion.
- April 24 at 11 am – League of Women Voters Book Discussion: Mary Abroe, PhD., College of Lake County, will facilitate a discussion of American Character: A History of the Epic Struggle Between Individual Liberty and the Common Good by Colin Woodard. Registration requested. Contact the Wilmette Public Library for a copy of the book.
- April 30 at 7 pm – Are We a Nation of Enough Immigrants? Possibly the most controversial legacy of the last few years will be that a nation of immigrants is being replaced by a nation of enough immigrants. Professor Doppelt, an expert in immigration matters, will document and discuss this issue.
- The League of Women Voters will also facilitate a series of “Living Room Conversations,” in which a small group of people come together for open minded conversations on a topic, with a focus on learning from each other rather than debating. Watch for more information.
For additional reading
American Creed: Community Conversations is a project of Citizen Film in partnership with the American Library Association and the National Writing Project, with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities.