Wilmette Public Library is seeking a dynamic and creative Adult Services Manager to join our leadership team. The ideal candidate is a compassionate leader who loves to develop and support teams and services for teens and adults. The Adult Services department manages book and media collections for adults and teens, connects patrons to materials through engaging readers advisory and customer service, facilitates and plans informative and entertaining programs, and assists the community with their research and informational needs. The Adult Services Manager directs the efforts and supports the development of department staff, while ensuring that the team’s resources, programs, and services meet the standards of the library as well as the needs of the community. As an integral part of the library’s leadership team, the manager promotes the library’s mission and vision and works across departments to help build and support a strong and equitable community.
Wilmette Public Library has been named a Library Journal “5 Star Library” every year since 2019, proudly serving a highly-engaged community committed to learning, creativity, growth, and development.
Core Essential Functions:
- Manage overall operations of department: set team direction and department objectives in alignment with library’s strategic goals. Set departmental goals and duties, review and modify departmental practices and procedures to ensure that services meet the needs of the community.
- Proactively seek out, recommend, and implement improvements and innovations in the area of adult services.
- Manage the department budget and ensure that expenses stay within the framework of the budget that supports the overall fiscal goals of the library.
- Provide relevant training to current staff and new hires, and provide constructive feedback and professional development recommendations to staff as needed. Conduct regular performance appraisals. Work with Human Resources on any performance improvement plans or corrective action measures as needed.
- Manage and review selection and development of department collections, resources, and programming to ensure they are current, relevant, and meet community needs.
- Serve as Person-in-Charge (PIC) as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- develop and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues and community members
- anticipate and creatively solve problems with a flexible mindset
- positively adjust to change
- think strategically about the library’s role providing adult services to the community
- gather, analyze, and use meaningful data in decision-making processes
- demonstrate exceptional leadership skills and conduct fair and impartial treatment to all patrons and staff
- coordinate and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines with excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- work independently while also flexible to work in a team setting.
- Commitment to and demonstrated success discussing, integrating, and promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, library values and ethics (ex. confidentiality/privacy, intellectual freedom).
- Extensive knowledge of adult and young adult literature. Maintains up-to-date knowledge on collections, programs and technology provided by Adult Services.
- Ability to demonstrate exceptional customer service experience.
- Masters of Library Science from an ALA-accredited library school required
- 2 or more years of public library or related experience
- 1 or more years of library supervisory experience required
- Exceptional customer service skills required
- Proven project management experience
- Schedule includes daytime, evening, and weekend hours
- This is a full-time, exempt position scheduled for 37.5 hours per week.
- Starting annual salary from $65,000 DOQ
- This position is eligible for both paid time-off, IMRF participation, as well as a generous healthcare package including medical, dental, vision, and healthcare reimbursement account
For full consideration, by Friday, February 3, 2023, please submit an application, resume, and cover letter to:
Attn: Michael Boone, HR Manager
Applications can be downloaded from our website: https://www.wilmettelibrary.info/about/about-us/employment
Wilmette Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified candidates to apply without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status or veteran status.