Are you creative, imaginative and tech savvy? Are you passionate about helping others explore their creative side while embracing technology? Wilmette Public Library has an exciting and new opportunity for a part-time Maker Space Assistant who will help our patrons explore, create, and learn while using our Maker Space equipment. This customer-service driven individual will be fun, energetic, patient and inquisitive as they provide friendly instructional service to patrons, in a group setting or one-on-one, for projects, crafts and the use of our innovative maker space technology.
Wilmette Public Library has been named a Library Journal “5 Star Library” every year since 2019, proudly serving a highly-engaged community committed to learning, creativity, growth, and development.
- Provides exceptional customer service to all patrons using library technology in the maker space.
- Instructs, guides, advises, and assists patrons of all ages and abilities with creative projects, primarily with library equipment, maker technology, and digital media software.
- Maintains knowledge of tools and resources for physical maker projects (fabric arts, 3D design and printing, and desktop cutters), and digital media creation (audio, images, and video).
- Conducts one-on-one instruction sessions with patrons.
- Develops and facilitates programs with a focus on emerging technology and maker topics for all ages that are responsive to community needs.
- Assists in all aspects of the daily operation and use of the maker space.
- Assists the Digital & Maker Services Manager in seeking out and acquiring new maker and technology equipment and lead trainings to staff.
- Maintains awareness of and demonstrates ease and comfort with emerging technologies.
- Processes 3D Print requests according to departmental procedure.
- Troubleshoots, maintains, and repairs library maker equipment.
- HS Diploma or GED required. Some college or post HS study desirable.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge in Windows and Mac operating systems and software.
- Ability to show proficiency in maker space equipment (3D printers, sewing machines, desktop cutters) and related software.
- 1 year of customer service experience required.
- Exceptional communication skills both verbal and written.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting.
Hours – Averages out to approximately 16 hours per week. Schedule includes:
- Tuesdays & Fridays: 4:30pm – 8:00pm
- Wednesdays: 1:00pm – 4:30pm
- Every other weekend:
- Saturdays 8:45am – 5:00pm
- Sundays 11:45pm – 5:00pm
- Minimum Starting Hourly Rate - $16.30 DOQ
If interested please submit a cover letter, application and resume. Please visit our website at www.wilmettelibrary.info and download an application. All applications must be filled out completely and submitted along with the other documents to:
Michael Boone, PHR
Manager of Human Resources
Wilmette Public Library
Wilmette Public Library is a Drug Free workplace and an EOE employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.