Teacher Services

Class Visits

We are happy to arrange a time for your class to visit the Library. Please call the Youth Desk at (847) 256-6945.

Materials Requests

If you would like a librarian to gather materials on a particular topic, call us at (847) 256-6945; please give at least two days' notice. We can also prepare bibliographies for classroom use with at least two weeks' notice. Multiple copies for book club activities can also be reserved, with at least two weeks' notice.

Assignment Alerts

Please send copies of your assignments, and we will post them at the Library along with details about where students can find the books and information they will need. You can fax them (847-256-6943) or phone them in (847-256-6945).

Teachers’ Loans

Teachers, administrators, support staff at eligible community schools may use their own local library cards to borrow materials for classroom use from the Wilmette Library.


Eligible schools include all public and parochical schools, nursery schools, preschools, and daycare centers located in Wilmette or Kenilworth. Additional qualifying institutions include Avoca West School, Marie Murphy, New Trier High School, and the Wilmette Park District.

School staff must work at least 12 hours per week for the duration of the entire school year to qualify for teacher loans. Student teachers do not qualify.

Borrowing Privileges

Library materials, which normally circulate for three weeks, may be borrowed for six weeks for classroom use. They may not be renewed. There is a limit of 150 items that may be borrowed at any one time.

There are exceptions. Certain library materials, such as selected audiovisual or holiday items, normally have restrictions on circulation period or on how many such items may be borrowed at a time. In these cases, normal restrictions apply.

Borrowers may use all other system services, including ILL and reserves.

Application Procedure

Bring a valid library card from your home town library and two forms of identification with current address.* This card must be registered at the Circulation Desk if you have never used it at the Wilmette Library.

A teacher's sticker is issued at the Youth Services Desk, where a staff member must verify your employment. This may be done in any of the following ways: by inclusion in the District 39 calendar kept at Youth Services Desk, or by showing a copy of your contract, a pay stub, a letter from your principal, or some other written verification that you teach at one of the eligible schools.

*If the patron does not live in Wilmette or Kenilworth, and is unable to obtain a library card where he/she lives, the individual must obtain a standard non-resident library card from this library or some other library in order to have access to teachers' loans.


Go to top